22082026-LT-01.qxd 21-08-2026 23:26 Page 1 c m y b Ludhiana tribune LAB PENALISED FOR ISSUING MISLEADING ULTRASOUND REPORT THE TREND WEAVING BONDS THIS RAKSHA BANDHAN OKO AT THE LALIT PAIRS JAPANESE FLAVOURS WITH INDIAN HOSPITALITY Gamma Scan & Path Lab had issued a report that failed to detect uterine fibroid & bilateral ovarian cysts in a woman. P2 From shops to online stores, duo hampers featuring rakhis for brothers & sisters-in-law emerge as a popular choice this year. P3 Chef Krishan Chaddha’s approach is simple: Exceptional food should always be accompanied by genuine warmth. P4 » » » FORECAST PARTLY CLOUDY/RAIN MAX 35°C | MIN 26°C YESTERDAY MAX 34°C | MIN 26°C SUNSET SATURDAY 7.02 PM SUNRISE SUNDAY 5.57 AM SATURDAY | 22 AUGUST 2026 | LUDHIANA Bandh evokes mixed response in city; Doraha traders shut shops, protesters march to rly station traffic hit, markets reopen by afternoon Shops remained closed during the bandh in Doraha on Friday. Lovleen Bains Supporters of the Qaumi Insaaf Morcha block Ladhowal Chowk; (and right) a closed market in Ludhiana on Friday. TRIBUNE PHOTOS: HIMANSHU MAHAJAN Shivani Bhakoo Tribune News Service Ludhiana, August 21 The bandh call given by the Qaumi Insaaf Morcha seeking the release of Bandi Sikhs lodged in various jails for long periods evoked a mixed response in Ludhiana on Friday. Major markets, factories, several schools and other establishments remained closed in the morning. The bandh was observed from 7 am to 2 pm, with its impact visible in and around the city. Tension prevailed at the Ladowal Toll Plaza after morcha supporters forcibly blocked the highway, causing inconvenience to commuters. Several Nihangs were seen blocking traffic while demanding the release of Bandi Sikhs. Traffic movement was dis- rupted at Samrala Chowk, Ladowal, Jalandhar Bypass and Bharat Nagar Chowk. Some Nihangs said emergency vehicles were being allowed to pass through service lanes and maintained that they would ensure the bandh received a strong response until 2 pm. At several places, commuters were seen pleading with protesters to allow them to pass. Arguments broke out at some points, leaving residents and commuters inconvenienced. Nihangs sat on roads at various locations to ensure that traffic remained stalled until the bandh ended. Markets wear a deserted look Most markets in the city, including Chaura Bazar, Ghumar Mandi, Bhadaur House, AC Market, Dandi Swami and BRS Nagar, remained shut during the morning. However, by noon, shopkeepers in several areas began opening their establishments. By 1.30 pm, most shops had reopened. Despite the bandh, traffic movement on several roads in the city was largely normal during the later part of the bandh period. Thin attendance in educational institutions Schools and colleges across the city recorded thin attendance. Several private schools had already declared a holiday, while attendance in government schools remained low. Pankaj Kaushal of Government Senior Secondary School, Jawahar Nagar Camp (boys), said student attendance was negligible due to the bandh call. He said most of the students who attended were from nearby areas. Bus service affected Most bus operators kept their vehicles off the roads until 2 pm. JS Grewal, general secretary of the Small Scale Bus Operators Association, said the association had already announced that around 800 to 900 buses would remain off the roads until the bandh ended. As a result, many passengers avoided travelling during the bandh hours, he said. Flights at Halwara Airport unaffected The bandh had no apparent impact on flight operations or passenger movement at Halwara Airport, according to the authorities. Routine flights continued to arrive and depart as scheduled. Heavy police force deployment across city Meanwhile, heavy police deployment was made across the city to ensure that the bandh passed off peacefully and to prevent any untoward incident. Police personnel patrolled various parts of the city, while nakas were set up at sensitive locations, including Samrala Chowk, Ladowal and Jalandhar bypass. Motive behind the bandh call The Qaumi Insaaf Morcha had called the bandh seeking the release of Bandi Sikhs who remain lodged in various jails. Several political parties that extended support to the bandh said the prisoners had already completed their jail terms and should therefore be released. Doraha, August 21 Normal life in Doraha town remained disrupted as shops, markets, educational institutions and business establishments remained closed in response to the seven-hour Punjab bandh call given by the Qaumi Insaaf Morcha from 7 am, demanding the release of Sikh prisoners. The bandh was supported by various organisations and associations, including the Karyana Association, Cycle Association and All Traders Union. Shopkeepers kept their shutters down from 7 am to 2 pm. Most private schools also remained closed as a precautionary measure, while public transport services remained suspended. A protest march was taken out under the leadership of halqa in-charge Sandeep Singh Rupalon. The protesters assembled at Bant Singh Chowk and marched towards the railway station, where they staged a dharna and raised slogans against the state and Central governments. The protesters demanded the immediate and unconditional release of Bandi Singhs who have completed their prison terms. They also sought parole for Jagtar Singh Halwara on humanitarian grounds. “Justice delayed is justice denied,” Rupalon said. “The continued detention of prisoners despite the completion of their sentences reflects the failure of the government. We will continue our agitation until our demands for the release of Bandi Singhs and parole for Halwara are met,” he added. Among those who participated in the protest were Gagandeep Singh Payal, Kuljinder Singh Lehal, Pritpal Singh Ghudani, Rampal Singh Daulatpur, Joga Singh Payal, Harbant Singh Gill, Deedar Singh Rano, Prabhjot Singh Sodi, Jora Singh Doraha, Darshan Singh Payal, Gurjot Kaur Mangat, Harjeet Singh Doraha, Gurbachan Singh Doraha, Mangal Singh Bhathal, Gurpreet Singh Buwani, Aman Rampur and Mohan Singh Doraha. Bobby Tiwari, president of the All Traders Union, Doraha, said the union stood by the protesters as they were raising a humanitarian issue. “We need to support them at this juncture. The shopkeepers kept their shutters down until around 2 pm, extending complete support to the bandh call,” he said. Doraha SHO Jashanpreet Singh said the bandh passed off peacefully and no untoward incident was reported from any part of the town. Woman accuses family of forcing No buyers for 18 years, Improvement Trust to divide her into flesh trade; case registered Rani Jhansi Road complex into SCOs before auction Tribune News Service Ludhiana, August 21 The Tibba police have registered a case against four persons, including a woman’s parents, brother and a family acquaintance, following allegations that she was forced into prostitution after marital disputes. The case was registered after a Zero FIR filed by the woman with the Mumbai police was transferred to Ludhiana for further investigation. Police have invoked Sections 4 and 5 of the Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act, along with relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS). According to the complaint, the woman married a Mumbai-based man in 2013. She returned to her parental home in 2015 following a dispute with her husband. She alleged that during her stay there, her family members and the acquaintance forced her into prostitution. She later returned to her husband but went back to her parental home after another marital dispute. The woman alleged that she was again forced into prostitution and that the situation continued for nearly two years. The woman recently returned to her husband and subsequently approached the police, seeking action against her family members. Tibba police station SHO Inspector Gaganpreet Singh said the complaint was initially submitted to the Mumbai police and was later transferred to Ludhiana through a Zero FIR. “We are contacting the complainant and collecting details. The allegations are being verified and further action will be taken on the basis of the evidence,” he said. Police officials said statements of the complainant and other persons concerned would be recorded, while relevant documents and other material would be examined as part of the investigation. No arrests have been reported so far. Tribune News Service Ludhiana, August 21 A huge commercial building of the Ludhiana Improvement Trust (LIT) on the posh Rani Jhansi Road, which failed to attract buyers for more than a decade, will now be sold as separate shop-cumoffice (SCO) units. The LIT authorities have decided to utilise the property, which has gradually fallen into disrepair, by dividing it into individual SCOs and offering them for sale. Talking to The Tribune, LIT Chairman Tarsem Bhinder said, “The state government and the Trust have decided to sell the SCOs in the building as separate units to individuals.” “Last month, tenders were floated, but not a single buyer showed interest. Auctions have also been held in the past, but the building could not be sold. We have now decided to utilise this prime property by dividing it into SCOs and selling them separately. The reserve prices will be fixed after consulting the district administration on the applicable DC rates. We hope to get a good response this time,” Bhinder said. The sprawling LIT commercial complex, spread over 2.2 acres, was constructed around 2008 by Deepak Builders. It has remained unsold for more than 18 years, primarily because of its high reserve price. The complex comprises various commercial units, including showrooms, shops and a basement. The building has been dubbed a “white elephant” as it has failed to generate revenue for the Trust. Despite the LIT reducing its reserve price to Rs 182 crore for an auction held in July, the property failed to attract any buyers. The neglected building has also become a shelter for drug addicts, further highlighting the need to put the prime property to productive use. A complex developed by the LIT on Rani Jhansi Road in Ludhiana. Buddha Dariya continues to receive polluted discharge despite rejuvenation efforts Sukhpreet Singh Tribune News Service Ludhiana, August 21 Despite ongoing efforts to rejuvenate the Buddha Dariya, several pollution points remain a concern, with treated and inadequately treated wastewater from sewer and effluent treatment systems continuing to enter the watercourse. The issue was raised during the 42nd review meeting of the Buddha Dariya Rejuvenation Project, chaired by Rajya Sabha MP Sant Balbir Singh Seechewal at the Municipal Corporation’s Zone D office on Thursday. Officials from the MC, Punjab Pollution Control Board (PPCB), Punjab Water Supply and Sewerage Board and police were directed to closely monitor all discharge points and take action against those found polluting the dariya. Recent official monitoring has also shown that pollution levels at some locations remain above prescribed limits. Samples collected in October 2025 showed a biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) of 90 mg/l and chemical oxygen demand (COD) of 280 mg/l downstream of the Haibowal dairy complex. At the Jamalpur STP downstream , BOD was recorded at 24 mg/l. At another monitoring point Dirty water coming out from an outlet in Buddha Dariya near Chandan Nagar, Ludhiana. ASHWANI DHIMAN near the 40 MLD and 50 MLD CETPs, BOD stood at 23 mg/l and COD at 100 mg/l. The pollution is not confined c m y b to dairy waste. Official records identify several discharge points along the Buddha Dariya, including outlets linked to the 225 MLD STP and the 40 MLD and 50 MLD CETPs. A recent survey found that many other outlets were seasonal or carried stormwater, but also identified locations where treated effluent, dairy wastewater and overflowing sewage were entering the watercourse. The Central Pollution Control Board has also flagged compliance concerns at Ludhiana’s CETPs. During an inspection in April 2024, three of the four CETPs inspected were found to be exceeding prescribed discharge standards. At Thursday’s meeting, Seechewal directed officials to ensure regular monitoring of all treatment plants and their outlets. He also expressed concern over the continued dumping of cow dung by some dairy operators. He said the government had already engaged a contractor to lift cow dung from the Haibowal and Tajpur Road dairy complexes, leaving no justification for dumping the waste into the dariya. Seechewal said the Buddha Dariya eventually joins the Sutlej, meaning pollution in the watercourse has implications beyond Ludhiana. He directed the MC, PPCB and police to coordinate enforcement efforts and register cases against those found violating the rules. Senior Deputy Mayor Rakesh Parashar, who is holding the charge of Mayor, and MC Commissioner Ojasvi Alankar attended the meeting. Joint Commissioners Vineet Kumar and Amanpreet Singh, ADCP Sameer Verma, and officials from the PPCB, PWSSB and Soil Conservation Department were also present. The review meeting comes amid wider government efforts to improve the condition of the Buddha Dariya, including measures to strengthen sewage treatment and prevent dairy and industrial waste from entering the watercourse.
The Tribune, now published from Chandigarh, started publication on February 2, 1881, in Lahore (now in Pakistan). It was started by Sardar Dyal Singh Majithia, a public-spirited philanthropist, and is run by a trust comprising four eminent persons as trustees.
The Tribune, the largest selling daily in North India, publishes news and views without any bias or prejudice of any kind. Restraint and moderation, rather than agitational language and partisanship, are the hallmarks of the paper. It is an independent newspaper in the real sense of the term.
The English edition apart, the 133-year-old Tribune has two sister publications, Punjabi Tribune (in Punjabi) and Dainik Tribune (in Hindi).