If asked, all the advertisers and publishers would agree that google ads are one of the most important revenue sources for them. However, not many people make significant efforts to grow their ad revenue. Even if some publishers take certain steps like increasing traffic on their sites. There is a lot more potential for ad revenue optimization that is still unexplored.
Team Readwhere AdExchange hosted an educational webinar focusing on various effective techniques for ad revenue optimization for publishers. The whole session is presented by RWADX experts. It shows various techniques that can help the publishers in being successful with their ad revenue optimization.
Firstly, let us take a look at the 5 techniques for ad revenue optimization mentioned in the webinar.
1. Take care of these key insights on your site for ad revenue optimization-
Talking about key insights, special attention towards mobile-first indexing is required as a rigid move for ad optimization. Taking care of robot meta tags, lazy loading and blocking on the mobile version are the things to consider. Secondly, the images and video quality, mark up, placement and alt attributes should not be missed either.
The load time of your site on a device is the major factor to make or break your business.
Did you know 77% of mobile sites take longer than 10 seconds to load on 3G networks?
Or did you know that 53% of visits are abandoned if a mobile site takes more than 3 seconds to load?
Scary, isn’t it?
Various studies including digital marketing professional Neil Patel have shown these statistics.
Therefore, you need to make efforts to be a site that loads faster than the rest. Only then it will observe longer average sessions and higher viewability.
Tip: Try considering the listed web vitals scores to know better about your site’s load time, interactivity and visual stability.
Want to know more tips to improve your site performance?
Listen to our insightful webinar by the industry experts.
2. Analyze and focus on a deeper understanding of user behaviour for better revenue optimization
If you think more number of users on your site define your success, then you need to rethink for a while. Numerous numbers of users can do no good to your site if their dwell time is negligible, isn’t it?
What good can a visitor do if he/ she leaves your site in 2 seconds?
You must keep a tab on your casual readers, loyal readers and brand lovers. Making the most of News Consumer Insights is the best way to understand user contribution to your website via Page read and Ad Revenue contributed. This will help you understand the level of engagement with your audience. Once you are aware of the scope of improvement for your site’s content for ad revenue optimization, you can find a way to work out through it.
Is your ad positioning an issue?
You can use GA Heat Maps to improve your content and ad placement. Here are some more tips to improve your ad revenue w.r.t. user behaviour analysis.
- Use Google Analytics to understand the content consumption pattern.
- Make the most of Real-Time Content Insight tool to understand the content consumption pattern.
- Utilize NTG tags for insights of engagement depth of users on your site.
- Build first-party data for future use.
3. Identify premium inventory and best practices for ad revenue optimization
Here is a question for you. How do you decide which ad has value?
Every person would be interested in knowing about the response of a user for various ads placed at different locations. In the end, nobody wants to waste their efforts and money over a non-viewable ad. If you still take your ad positioning for granted, it’s high time you should start taking it seriously.
In other words, Viewable impressions make your business. Period.
You must work on identifying your ad inventory based on the active view, CTR, placement and the ad’s overall performance.
There are several ways to improve your ad performance. Placing Ads in ATF, integrating native ads, or near call to action can improve the performance of your ads. You can also choose the multi-size approach and go for sticky ads to improve your ad revenue optimization.
Don’t miss out on these quick tips for ad optimization:
- Experiment with Ad Placements.
- Experiment with Ad Sizes.
- Increase competition with new yield partners via open Bidding.
- Increase your demand through potentially unblocking unnecessary categories.
4. Understand and implement various rules for optimization
After working on your user- behaviour, ad placement and mobile-first indexing move on to the next step. You need to implement various rules for ad revenue optimization. The best way to get going is by defining your rule based on the Premiumness of the inventory and platform.
Take care of these pointers regarding rules for ad revenue optimization:
- Fewer the rules, faster the selection of rules by Ad exchange.
- Set target CPM price against the floor price.
- Give the most granular rules top priority to ensure they are reviewed first.
- Differentiate your rules by device Mobile or Desktop and geographical location.
- Make sure your unified pricing rules use target CPM.
- Identify quality inventory where consumers are spending the most time.
- Set up deals with your advertisers using Programmatic Guaranteed.
- Use Google Funding Choices to empower you against ad blockers and enable user consent.
5. Understand the ad delivery journey from call to creative rendering
In the end, an impressive ad is no good if it takes forever to load. Moving on to the last step after making all the required efforts, testing your ad load speed is the thing can’t skip. Ad speed report in Ad Manager is equally helpful.
Publishers can use these tools to improve Ad speed and UX:
1. Lighthouse Publisher Ads Audit-
The Publisher Ads Audits for Lighthouse helps you to the audit of the ads running on your website. It gives several suggestions to improve the speed of the ads for better ad performance.
How to use the Lighthouse Tool?
There are 2 ways to use Lighthouse.
Using Lighthouse through Webpage:
- Go to developers.google.com/publisher-ads-audits. Enter the URL you want to test in the box.
- Further, Click on “Generate Report”. The report will be generated in a new tab.
Using Lighthouse through Google Search Console:
- Open the console by putting ?dfpdeb at the end of the url. Click on the Audit this Page button.
- The Publisher Ad Audit web-page will open in a new tab with the URL you want to test.
- Click on the Generate Report to get the detailed report.
2. Google Ad Speed Report-
Login easily in the Google Ad Manager, choose the required dimensions and metrics. Now save and run the report. After that, you can analyze your ad creative load speed, % of users scrolled before Ad rendering etc. Further, from the Google Ad Manager home page, you can have a glance of the Ad speed report on your Network.
Here are some tips to improve your Ad performance:
- Go for Header bidding and Open bidding technology
- Configure Lazy Loading for overall ad performance and viewability
- Review your Header bidding setup
Need a quick demo on Ad Speed?
Watch it now in our webinar mentioned above.
In conclusion, you are now well- versed with all the hacks required for ad revenue optimization. It is time for you to get started yourself for making progress in your ad structure and earning.
Let us know about your experience with your ad revenue optimization in the comments section.